On the N shore of Goodnews Bay at the mouth of Goodnews River 69 km (43 mi) WNW of Togiak, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
Incorporated as Goodnews Bay on 7/9/1970. A post office called Goodnews Bay was established here in 1930 (Ricks, 1965, p. 24). Eskimos from the former village of Mumtrak moved here and a government school was founded. The name "Goodnews" was published in 1937 by Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). The population in 1960 was 154.