N of junction of Platinum and Squirrel Creeks, 2 mi. S of Red Mtn. and 25 mi. NE of Cape Newenham, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
Named for the Goodnews Mining Co.; name published in 1950 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). This semi-permanent settlement was the largest mining camp in the district in 1940. The camp was established about 1934 when large-scale operations in minin g of platinum-bearing deposits in this area began. (Mertie, 1940, p. 57).