On right bank of Kuskokwim River, 10 mi. SW of Bethel; Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
Eskimo village reported as "Napahaiagamute" by E. W. Nelson, U.S. Signal Service, in December 1878; the 1880 Census gave the village population as 98. The name was spelled "Napahayagamiut" in the 1890 Census, but J. E. Spurr and W. S. Post, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), showed the name as "Napachiakachagamut" from information received in 1898 from J. H. Kilbuck, a Moravian missionary. The village population had increased to 139 in 1950 and the Napakiak post office was established in 1951 (Ricks, 1965, p. 44). Today, the village has a church, a school and about 12 dwellings. Napakiak was incorporated as a city on October 19, 1970.