on N bank of Kuskokwim River 1.8 mi. E of Kalskag and 18 mi. W of Aniak, Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
Former Eskimo village, meaning "people (village) on the other side of river;" reported as "Ukhagmyut," by Lieutenant L. A. Zagoskin, Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), in 1842-44. In 1879 W. E. Nelson, U. S. Signal Service, recorded "Okhagamute." Ivan Petroff's 1880 Census report lists a population of 130. The spelling "Oknagamut" was established by US@C&GS in 1897 on the authority of Reverend J. H. Kilbuck, Moravian missionary.