on right bank of Nushagak River, 3 mi. SW of Dillingham; Bristol Bay Low.
named about 1944 for Senator Knute Nelson, 1843-1923, Governor of Minnesota 1893-95, and U.S. Senator, 1895-1923. member of Senator Dillingham's subcommittee, made an extensive tour of Alaska in 1903. "Dillingham," and an Eskimo village called "Keek-sel-hak" was recorded on a 1910 manuscript map by H. C. Fassett, U.S. Bureau of Fisheries (USBF). 1944 the name "Dillingham" was transferred to Snag Point where the Dillingham post office had been since 1904; the name "Nelsonville" came into use about this time. a section of Kanakanak.