between Lutak Inlet and Chilkoot Lake, in course of Chilkoot River, 12 mi. SW of Skagway, Coast Mts.
Former Tlingit village named for the Chilkoot Tribe that lived there. In the 1880 Census Ivan Petroff listed "Chilcoot." The population in 1890, including the mission, was 106. In 1881 the U.S. Navy recorded "Chilcoot or Tananei." Aurel and Arthur Krause (1883, map) spelled the name "Tschilkut." Reported as "Tenany," an Indian fishing village, by C. M. Willard (1884, p. 140).