at Haines Airport at mouth of Chilkat River, 17 mi. SW of Skagway, Coast Mts.
Former Tlingit Indian village name obtained in 1880 from an Indian interpreter, as "Gan-te-gas-tak-heh," meaning "village on right bank of river," by Marcus Baker, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS). In the 1880 Census, Petroff (1884, p. 31) listed "Yondestuk," population 171; and in the same year, Captain L. A. Beardslee, U.S. Navy (USN), recorded the name "Tondust." The present inhabitants call it "Yindastuki." In 1867 this Indian village consisted of 12 houses; 13 years later it had grown to 16 houses and 171 people. In 1952 only a few houses remained.