Section of Juneau, on NE coast of Douglas Island, 3.2 km (2 mi) SSE of Juneau. T 41 S, R 67 E, Cooper River Mer.
Named about 1886 for the island on which it is located. The early name was "Edwardsville," perhaps for H. H. Edwards, an early miner and resident. The town was established in 1881 as the result of mining activity in the area. It became the incorporated city of Douglas in 1902 and merged with Juneau in July 1970. Since 1902 the town suffered several serious fires, which destroyed many of the original structures (Dearmond, 1957, pp. 1415)