Located on Kenai Peninsula, 2.3 miles southeast of Cohoe.
This is an agricultural settlement of Kenai Indians. In 1786 the Russian Kolomin of the Lebedef-Lastochkin Company built two log houses surrounded by a stockade at or near this site. It was called "Saint George," presumably for one of the ships of the company. An Indian fishing village grew up around this stockade. Its population in 1880 was 31; in 1890, 117; in 1930, 45. A post office was obtained in 1925 (Ricks, 1965, p32). "In 1937 a party surveying for homesteading purposes on the Kenai Peninsula found near Kasilof the remains of a partially buried village.* * * A partial excavation showed 31 well-preserved houses, each about 15 by 22 feet and 14 feet high. The cabin walls were approximately four inches thick, made of beach sand, bricks, logs and sod. Each had a fire place in the center.* * * It was thought at the time to be of Eskimo origin, although Eskimos are not known to have penetrated so far south. The aboriginal inhabitants of the Peninsula are at present mostly Kenai.