population 778, at mouth of Kenai River, on E shore of Cook Inlet, 65 mi. SW of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
A fortified post, called Redut Svataya Nikolaya, or Fort St. Nicholas, was built in 1791 by Grigor Konovalof, commander of the St George, of the Lebedef-Lastochkin Company. The village was also called Pauls Fort, or Pavlovskaya, by the Russians. In 1869 a U. S. Military Post, named Fort Kenai, for the Indians living in the area, was established there, and in 1899 the Kenai post office was authorized (ricks, 1965 p. 32). The population was 44 in 1880; in 1890, 263; in 1910, 250; in 1920, 332; in 1930, 286.