On the Kenai Peninsula, NE shore of English Bay, S of Russian Point and the entrance to Port Graham, Chugach Mts.
The name of this unincorporated Alaska Native village was officially renamed by a decision of the Board on Geographic Names (BGN) July 12, 2007. Nanwalek means "place by the lagoon." The former name was derived from that of nearby English Bay and reported by the Census in 1940. This village appears to have been originally a Russian Post called "Alexandrovsk," meaning "Alexander" (Sarichev, 1826, map5). It was later called "Odinochka," meaning "a person living in solitude" (Tebenkov, 1852, map 5).