site of a village near Katmai Bay, on S ocast of Alaska Peninsula, in Katmai National Monument 16 mi. S of Mount Katmai, Aleutian Range
This once important Eskimo village was reported by von Krusenstern (1827, map 17), Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), as "Katmay." The 10th Census in 1880 lists a population of 218; 11th Census in 1890 lists 132. Katmai was abondoned following the 1912 eruption of Mount Katmai and the people were resettled in Perryville, near Mitrofania Bay.