population 76, mi. 226.7 on the Alaska RR., at junction of Talkeetna and Susitna Rivers, 80 mi. N of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
This is reported to be the site of a Tanaina Indian village. Its present name was derived from that of the river. It developed as a major camp when the railroad was built; the village obtained a post office in 1916. A railroad station was opened to traffic here in 1920. Its population was 70 in 1920; 89 in 1930; 136 in 1939; and 106 in 1950.