at mouth of Bering Creek, on Port Clarence, 5 mi. SW of Teller, Seward Peninsula High.
Harbor town established about 1899 or 1900 to serve the placer mines along the Bluestone River. Brooks (1901, p. 68), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), noted that by fall of 1900 it had a population of 200 and as a harbor, "has some advantage over Teller, inasmuch as vessels can easily approach much nearer the shore and have more protections from easterly and northeasterly winds." Teller, however, dominated and drew most of the people from Bering (Collier and others, 1908, p. 2770). See Teller.