population 10, at mouth of Cape Creek, on Bering Sea Coast, 5 mi. SE of Cape Prince of Wales, Seward Peninsula High.
Former mining camp established at the base of Cape Mountain in 1903 (Collier, 1904, p. 59). Tin ore was discovered on Cape Mountain in July 1902, by Mr. W. C. J. Bartels. * * *Extensive developments were planned for the season of 1903, and a well-equipped prospecting plant was sent to Cape Mountain" (Collier, 1904, p. 25). By 1907 "a few widely scattered houses" formed Tin City (Knopf, 1908, p. 35), and two companies operated out of the village and a 10-stamp mill was located here (p. 40). Tin City post office was established in 1904 and was discontinued in 1909 (Ricks, 1965, p. 65).