Population 324, on foreland terminating at Point Hope on Chukchi Sea coast, Arctic Slope.
Inuit village, locally referred to as Tikiqaq or Tikarakh, but because of the post office name, the place is more commonly referred to as Point Hope. The Inuit name, recorded in 1861 as Tiekagagmiut by P. Tikhmeniev Wich on Russian Hydrographic Dept. Chart 1495, became Tiekaga, and derives from the Inuit name for the point of land, which means forefinger. This ancient village site was advantageous, because the protrusion of Point Hope into the sea brought the whale close to shore. The 1880 census gave the population as 276. See Hope, Point, and Ipiutak.