On the NE shore of Lisianski Inlet in NW part of Chichgof Island, Alexander Archipelago.
Named for a fishing boat called "The Pelican" owned by Charles Raatikainen, a founder of the town. In 1943 there was a cannery, a small sawmill, a school, and a hotel. A post office was established in 1939 (Ricks, 1965, p. 50). The community is sometimes referred to as Pelican City.