On Kenai Peninsula, on S tip of Chenega Island, at head of Chenega Cove, 42 mi. SE of Whittier, Chugach Mountains.
Name of an Indian village reported by Ivan Petroff in the 1880 census (1884, p.28). A post office was established here in 1946 (Ricks, 1965, p.10) but was discontinued when the village was destroyed by the 1964 Alaska earthquake and abandoned. In subsequent years, the community relocated to Crab Bay on Evans Island; the community of Crab Bay was renamed to Chenega Bay by the BGN in 1998.