On the Klutina River, 1 mi W of its jucntion with the Copper River and 66 mi NE of Valdez, Copper River Basin.
A trading post was located here about 1896. The village began as a mining camp when about 300 prospectors wintered here in 1898-99. With the establishment of a telegraph station by the U.S. Army Signal Corps about 1901, the village, being on the Fairbanks-Valdez trail, became the principal settlement and supply center in the Nelchina-Susitna Region. Its population was 91 in 1910; 71 in 1920; 80 in 1930; 138 in 1939; 90 in 1950, and 151 in 1960.