On the N bank of National Creek, E edge of Kennicott Glacier, 4 mi N of McCarthy, Wrangell Mts.
The Kennicott Mines Company, which established a camp and offices here in 1906, took its name from Kennicott Glacier. The glacier was named for Major Robert Kennicott. In 1908, the post office of Kennecott was established and continued to operate until 1938. (Ricks, 1965, p. 33). The town, which grew to a population of 494 by 1920, took its name from the mining company, but it has been spelled variously through the years. See Kennicott Glacier.