population 40, on shore of Mentasta Lake, on W side of Mentasta Pass, 38 mi. SW of Tok; Alaska Range
this appears to be an early Indian settlement site which has been located in more than one place around Mentasta Lake. P. G. Lowe in 1898 reported near the lake an Indian's house which he called John's House or John's Village, after the Indian occupant. The U.S. Army Signal Corps established a telegraph station in the pass in 1902. area has been the best known route of native migration across the Alaska Range since the first native settlements here. Mentasta Lake post office was established in 1947 and discontinued in 1951 (Rices, 1965, p. 42). "Montasta Lake native village" with a population of 15.