population 809, on NE end of Kenai Peninsula, at head of Passage Canal, 28 mi. SE of Sunrise and 50 mi. SE of Anchorage, Chugach Mts.
Port and RR terminus established during World War II. The name derived from nearby Whittier Glacier was reported in 1943 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The population in 1950 was 629. A post office was established here in 1946 and was discontinued in 1961 (Ricks, 1965, p. 71).