population 69, on left bank of Koyukuk River, Hogaza High.
This village was established in 1910 as a riverboat landing and "port of supply" for the Indian River diggings, and was named for Charles Evans Hughes, 1862-1948, then Governor of New York. The village flourished until 1915 when the Indian River gold gave out. A store remained in existence and the town evolved into a Koyukuk Indian village (Stuck, 1917, p. 324-325). A post office was established here in 1914, rescinded in 1916, and reestablished in 1942. See Hughes Bar.