population 68, on right bank of Yukon River, 27 mi. NE of Ruby, Kokrines-Hodzana High.
This Indian village appears to have been named for a Russian trader, whose name Lieutenant Allen (1887, p. 89), USA, spells "Cochrein." Captain Raymond (1871, p. 23), U.S. Engineers, refers to a trading village here called "Newikargut," a name borrowed from the stream on the opposite side of Yukon River. See Nowitna River.