Wiseman is located on the middle fork of the Koyukuk River at the junction of Wiseman Creek in the Brooks Range. It lies just north of Coldfoot on the Dalton Highway, formerly the North Slope Haul Road.
In the early 1900s, locals living in nearby Coldfoot wanted to live closer to the mining on the Nolan and Wiseman Creeks and developed the new community of Wiseman ten miles north. The community was first called "Wrights" after local roadhouse owner B.E. Wright, then it was known as "Nolan", named after the gold-bearing Nolan Creek. The Nolan Post Office was established in 1909, changed its name to Wiseman Post Office in 1923 and was discontinued in 1956. (AK-T1/p1055)