The Creeks of the Eufaula Indian Tribe established a village at this site about 1733. General William Irwin having been given a land grant, established a shipping and trading post at the same site. Residents honored him by naming the village Irwinton. The town was later descriptively named Eufaula, meaning "high bluff" for its location along the Chattahoochee River. (US-T873/p5) Current name adopted in 1843.