Ranked 9th by population in the 1980 census , Capital of State of Arizona.
In 1869, Darrell Duppa, one of the organizers of the Swilling Irrigation Company, which developed the area, gave it the name of the mythical bird 'phoenix' because of evidence of a previous civilization in the area. In 1865, 'Smiths Station' had been established by J.Y.T. Smith, and in 1871 'Hellings Mill' (or East Phoenix') was established by William B. Helling. Both settlements have become part of the City of Phoenix (Byrd Granger, 1983). Incorporated in 1881.