Located in the extreme southeastern portion of Nebraska along the Missouri River and the boundary with Missouri and Kansas; County Seat: Falls City.
One of the "original eight" counties formed in Nebraska. Named for William A Richardson of Illinois who became Governor of Nebraksa in 1858. Temporarily organized on 23 November 1854, formally organized with boundaries defined on 7 March 1855 and redefined on 26 January 1856. (NE-T18/p118)