Located in southeastern South Dakota, 80 km (50 mi) west of the City of Sioux Falls; County Seat: Alexandria.
Created and organized in 1871, and named for Major Joseph R Hanson (born 1837) of New Hampshire. He was one of the pioneer settlers in the Yankton townsite in 1858, prior to the Indian Reservation opening. Major Hanson later served as Secretary of the First Territorial legislature and the Second Legislature as well as Sioux Indian Agent from 1865-1870. (SD-T17/p27)